10 February 2008

Sunday


Today we woke up and ate breakfast. Then we caught a taxi and went to church. During the week we drove down the high way and the first time by we saw a little church. It had a fence around it, and it didn't have a cross. We thought that it looked like an LDS church. Then on the way back we looked closer and found the name plate on the front of the building. We were excited to have found the church. We arrived about 30 minutes early and found a seat in the chapel. It was just like most other LDS meeting - there were only a handful of members there, and most of them arrive about 5 or 10 minutes before the meeting started. While we were waiting, one of the men came and grabbed Brett. He went to another room to set up chairs. There were so many people in their ward that they will be splitting the ward soon. They actually do a closed circuit broadcast into one of the other rooms. Also while we were waiting we met a couple from Texas and a couple from Utah.

It was a good meeting, as far as I could tell. I do know that one of the speakers talked about the four parts of a testimony. I know he talked about Jesus being our Savior, and he talked about Thomas S. Monson as the prophet today. The other things, I didn't understand.

We found out later that one of the speakers was the stake president. We thought that he was the bishop or branch president because they introduced him as "presidente." Brett talked to him in priesthood and found out that he was the stake president and that they would be splitting the ward soon.

The thing that I was most impressed with was how much each and every speaker and teacher used the scriptures. I think that is something we in the USA do not do as much as we should. It was really neat to see all of the men in white shirts and ties, and most of the boys were in white shirts, too. Brett was one of about four men without a white shirt on. He had to bring dress clothes, so he had on a gray shirt. There were only about three people with suit coats on. The missionaries and the stake president.

During church, there was a rain storm and we lost power for a couple of minutes.

The church is true. It is true in Minnesota, it is true in Salt Lake City, and it is true in Mexico.

Oh, just a side note: There were a couple of children sitting in front of Brett and me. They kept looking back at us and then they would laugh. They were like little kids. They started doing the "drop the pen or the book" and see if someone will pick it up. They did it five or six times, and the last time they dropped the pad of paper, I stepped on it. I didn't pick it up, but stepped on it so they couldn't get it. They looked a little nervous and started laughing, but then I took my foot off of it and let them get it. Also, on time the girl dropped her pen, I picked it up and asked her, "para mi?" (for me?) She shook her head to tell me no. I found the boy after church and his name is Miguel. Miguel is 10 years old and his sister is 8. I took a picture of Miguel in front of the church. His friend was standing by him laughing when I aked to take a picture, so I had him get in too. Miguel is on the right.

After church we walked down to the beach, and then we walked through walmart. This is what we found:



SPAM is alive and well in Mexico. Also, they sell chicken feet and chicken parts. Needless to say, we didn't buy any chicken parts.
Oh, at the beach, we saw a women who was sunning herself with only half of her swimming suit on.
After walmart, we caught a taxi back to our hotel. I guess the storm did a number on the power, because there were no stop lights that were working. There were police officers at all of the intersections directing traffic. We made it back to our room, settled down and relaxed, and it started to rain again. It has rained most of the night, and it looks like the storm might blow over.
Hopefully, so we can have some fun today (Monday).

No comments: