26 October 2008

Extreme Makeover - Home Edition

Between conference sessions, I went with a friend to the site where they were building a house for a family for Extreme Makeover - Home Edition. My friend VIP passes, and she went early in the morning with her husband. When she went it was cold and wet. They were pretty miserable. She asked if she could come back, and the people there told her that she could.

She called and invited me to go with her. It was fortunate for me that the weather had improved quite a bit. It was no longer raining. It was, however, a little cold.

My friend was excited to see some of the cast and crew. I didn't really know any of them, except Ty, and he was no where to be seen (or heard from).

Here is our story:

We drove up to the house through a big corn field. It was bumpy!

Then we parked the car. This isn't the car we rode in. It was just a car parked in the "lot" that we parked in.
We got to walk up to this very cool sign and check-in. It really wasn't as cool as it sounds. The good part about it was that we didn't have to stand in the middle of a bunch of people. We were able to go inside a little tent where there were treats, and then we were allowed to go to look at the house.


I liked the shirts, and this guy was very picture worthy to me. He was one of the laborers.

This is about as close as we got to any of the cast. They were driving away in the vans. Someone in the van is waving.

We didn't have to be in this group of people. We were free to wander, but the view of the house was not that great. We did get to see people working.

Proof that I was actually there.

Larson Contracting was doing the building, and I am guessing that these are some pretty important people. Not many people got to drive around in golf carts.

This was the view of the house I got to see. The garage is to the right of the tree. It was an amazingly busy place. There were volunteers all over the place, and everyone seemed to be busy most of the time.
When we were leaving, I turned around and took a picture of the front of the house.

Then, in case we didn't know how to get out, they had a sign to show the way. All in all it was a fun experience.
(For any of you who are fans of the show, it is the 10th house of the season - don't know when it will be aired)

4 comments:

Dane said...

I'm popping in to say hi, since I had to go out of lurkdom/stalking mode on Meredith's site! We love keeping up with your family!--dana

Misty said...

how fun! the house looks nice!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

Wow. I didn't know that they let people come onto the grounds to just watch. Did you help with any construction?

Ashley said...

haha great story!! Must have been a pretty cool friend huh!!! J/k

Thanks again for watching ELi for us this weekend. I really appreciate it! You guys are definitely family away from family for us.