14 August 2009

Loving Laundry?


Who me? Yes, I am really enjoying doing the laundry right now. I get up and run a load through the washing machine. Then about 9:00 a.m. I go out to hang it on my neighbor's clothes line. I wash another load, and hang that out, too. Then later in the day I get to go and take it off the line. While I take it off, I fold it and put it in separate piles for the children and me to put away when I come in.

Even yesterday was fun. I had washed Brett's dress shirts, and hung them out. Claire came in from playing outside to tell me that it was starting to rain. We ran outside (all of the children were with me) and started to rescue the clothes. I pulled Brett's shirts off first and sent them in with Caleb to be put on hangers. Then the other three children started pulling the clothes off the line and putting them in the baskets. We didn't get a chance to fold them, but they all got pulled off and brought inside

Lucky for us, we rescued them before we got any substantial rain. Also they were mostly dry, so we only had to lay out some socks and one sweatshirt that didn't quite have enough time to dry.

The question, "Why do I love laundry?" has a few answers, and here they are:
  1. I love the fresh smell that stays with the clothes. After I put our sheets out, I could still smell them when I walked into my room two days later.
  2. I love the fresh smell. Sometimes our closet smells "dirty," and it is probably from all of the shoes in there, but yesterday, after hanging his clean shirts in there, it smells fresh.
  3. I have to get the laundry done. I cannot wait and do seven to ten loads in one day. There is no room for it all.
  4. The children are willing to help with it (Caleb especially likes to hang his clothes so that to unmentionables are hung where people driving by can see).
  5. It is very fulfilling. In a small way, I feel like I have accomplished something after I have finished the laundry.
  6. No more little laundry piles all over the house. The laundry has to be brought down to the washer almost daily so that I can wash it.
  7. We are saving energy. I'm not sure how much, but we are not using our dryer, and every little bit helps.
  8. The wrinkles are minimal because the clothes don't sit in the dryer or a laundry basket without being folded (unless they are wet).
  9. I love the feel of the clothes (O.K., not the stiff ones, but they do soften up, too).
  10. Did I mention I love how fresh the clothes smell?
I've gotta go and collect the laundry so that I can get it washed and hung. Maybe I'll do the boys sheets today?

No comments: