17 November 2009

Whole lot of Holes

So, at our house, holes this summer/fall have been synonymous with time and money.

One of our holes was when too many of our fence segments rotted out and fell down, and the whole fence came down.

Then there was the infamous hole where one of my sons threw a rock at a butterfly.

On Sunday we added a hole to the collection. Here is a picture of it:

This is where the shower head is supposed to be.

This is where it resides currently.

I was enjoying a nice, relaxing Sunday morning until Caleb asked me to come upstairs. I didn't want to get up, so I asked him why. He pleaded with me a couple more times to come upstairs and told me that he had broken something. I took a deep breath and headed up. He held the shower head in his hand. He had broken it. I took it from him and examined it. It was plastic, not metal, and the plastic end had broken off. There was about 1/2 inch of shower head still in the HOLE. I had to figure out how to get it out.

I used pliers, but there was nothing to grab on to. I used a screw driver, but there were no edges. I grabbed a hammer, and use it to pry the screw driver under the remnants of the pipe. I thought, if I can break out a piece, maybe the rest will follow. I wasn't having much luck, so I decided to burn it out. I grabbed a lighter, and headed to the HOLE. I lit the plastic on fire (I figured I was pretty safe, because if it got out of hand, I had a water source right at my finger tips - literally. I would light it, and then blow it out and pick at it. I did this a couple of times, and I realized that it would probably be a little brittle by now. So I grabbed that hammer and pliers and pounded away. I cracked. I used a variety of tools, and finally got the end of the pipe out.

Now I get to go shopping for a new shower head.

I am fortunate however that this hole is not mine.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh no!! Too funny..... So are you getting your washer and dryer at the same time you will buying your shower head? HAHAHAHA

Papa said...

DMDA: Ah the joy of home ownership and --Children, HUH ? GH